Thursday, February 02, 2006

Hallmark Cards

This semester we have to take Speech class. Today I gave my introduction speech. I could introduce whoever I wanted, and say whatever I wanted. We were supposed to pretend we were introducing our person to an audience that he or she would be speaking to. I knew who I would do right away. Someone imaginary, but one who I could talk about endlessly. This was, more or less, my speech.

There’s no such thing as the perfect guy, right? That IS true. However, I believe that with a little guidance even the most pathetic guy can turn out pretty good. That’s what we’re going to show you this afternoon.

I know for me, the search for the elusive “prince charming” seemed hopeless. I’d read the happily ever after books, seen the movies, and spent countless hours daydreaming about a perfect guy that would make me happy. I’d nearly given up hope when one day I met a guy named Ethan.

Rather than your typical girl-sees-guy-and-falls-madly-in-love scenario, Ethan and I were friends. We hung out a lot. We liked to do the same things and had the same sense of humor. He could always cheer me up if I was having a bad day. We talked about everything, and no matter what we did we always had fun.

We’d been friends for awhile when Ethan asked me out. I was surprised at first, and I had no clue what to do. I did NOT want to ruin our friendship. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized what a great guy Ethan really was. I put aside my fears and accepted the date.

It turned out to be the first of many for us. Ethan was great. He would send me flowers at work and call me just to hear my voice. Before I knew it, entirely unconsciously, I realized that I had fallen in love with Ethan. He continued to be his wonderful self. I loved how his eyes lit up when he saw me, and how he would spend ages picking out the perfect Hallmark card because he knew I loved them. He would call whenever one of “our songs” came on the radio.

We had our ups and downs, neither of us is without our faults. All in all, however, Ethan was an awesome guy. It was the little things, the cards, songs, flowers, plus all the laughs and good times we shared that made him so special to me. When he asked me to marry him, I was more than happy to say yes. Ethan loves me for who I am, no matter what.

Now he is here today to help all of you guys become better boyfriends and husbands. Please help me welcome Ethan, MY perfect guy.

Sadly, Ethan isn’t a real person. He’s actually a guy off of a Hollister bag from spring break two years go, lol. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if I could just find the REAL Ethan now?!? He’s GOT to be out there somewhere. Let me know if you find him, k?

11 Comments:

Blogger Darselo said...

A deeply moving speech Erika. Who was it that you introduced? (And beg pardon if that was supposed to be "whom".)

3:34 PM, February 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your a bit to young to marry,are'nt you?

5:09 PM, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Erika said...

Petunia, its weird what certain stuff will make you remember, huh? Interesting story. Also, I'm pretty sure you're right about the healtheir and stronger part.

Darci, it was ETHAN!!

Anon, you don't deserve a response since you won't even MAKE UP a name for yourself.

Phantom, I like your first quote, but the second one is decidedly less romantical!! and alas, it surely does alter minds, whether we want it too or not...sigh.

2:59 PM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Darselo said...

Actually, I meant who was the lucky person who recieved Ethan's identity? In other words, who was standing next to you when you gave your speech.

4:23 PM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Erika said...

Ooooooh *lightbulb goes on*. Paula Lou was Ethan, lol.

8:52 PM, February 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are what,16? Much to young for love. Don't waste you're life ericka! Don't give away you're virgenity!

11:39 AM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Darselo said...

Lol to Paula. I believe anonymous, that your counsel would be better recieved without all the spelling and grammer errors.

4:23 PM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Erika said...

WHAT THE CRAP anon?? Who said ANYTHING about virginity?? I'm VERY confused!! And you're never too young for love, its just that you can be too young to be seriuosly going out, let alone married. And anyway, I don't WANT to be married or any such thing right now!! That was just a PRETEND speech, ok!!

9:08 PM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger born2fly said...

anon i dont think erika was refering to giving her um virginity away. not to a guy on a hollister bag for sure.

9:15 AM, February 11, 2006  
Blogger Charles Jurries said...

Keep your heart pure and your hands sanitized!

6:19 PM, February 11, 2006  
Blogger Erika said...

Abbs, you are DEF. right!!

lol phantom, I like ti.

Chuck, sounds like good advice:-)

2:38 PM, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home